Friday, July 20, 2007

Helping Others to Quit Smoking

I had intended to post at least several times a week, but "life" got in the way! One thing worth mentioning to those of you who are still smoking and want to quit, there is a fairly new prescription drug called Chantix that seems to be very effective. I do not have personal knowledge of it, but a support group I belong to has quite a few members who have successfully quit without too much "pain".

I would really like to hear other people's stories of how they quit - their successes as well as their failures. Smoking cessation is such an important subject - I don't want to be preachy about it but you never know whose story will inspire someone else to quit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I, too, was a heavy smoker for many years. I had a cigarette burning every waking hour, often had more than one lit and resting in ashtrays around the house. Ashtrays, themselves were abundant, could be found in the kitchen, living/dining rooms, bathroom and on my night stand.

I took my cigs with me wherever I went and smoked them everywhere - in the car, in department stores, at work and walking down the street. If I awoke at night, I lit a cigarette to take with me to the bathroom. Once, an orderly gasped in amazement when he found me clutching a pack of Marlboros in the Labor room of a hospital.

My last really bad cold morphed into the umpteenth cycle of bronchitis and night coughs, gasping for breathe. At last, my consciousness was raised and I vowed to put cigarettes in my rear view mirror.

I bought self-hypnosis tapes. One tape contained the verbal suggestions to quit smoking. Tape 2, a subliminal tape, contained the same suggestions disguised beneath the sound of ocean waves. I played that tape every day as I completed chores around the house, plus it rewound and played continuously while I slept.

When D-Day arrived, I was ready. I washed all the ashtrays and put them out of sight. But, in truth, I suffered none of the agonizing withdrawal symptoms others had reported. Just as I had been an unconscious smoker, I became an unconscious non-smoker. I didn't even THINK about cigarettes.

Did I mention that when I quit, I still owned a full carton of Marlboros stashed in the pantry?