Sunday, August 26, 2007

Quitting Smoking Hour by Hour

Another idea for help in stopping smoking was related to me by a friend who is not online. She started by delaying lighting up for one hour; when that hour was up she delayed another hour and so on and on until she delayed for a couple of hours at a time and then a day at a time. This went on for several weeks until she was finally free of the cravings. During all of this she kept a package of cigarettes with her at all times, but not once did she smoke.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Speaking from experience, I quit about 20+ years ago after being a 3 - 4 pack a day unfiltered smoker for almost 30 years in the Navy. It was one of the most difficult things I ever went through. I was only able to do it because I was at sea on a long deployment and work took up a lot of time. I can assure you that when I got home 6 months later, the first time the kids got noisy and on my nerves, I wanted a cigarette. By that time I was not going to start over so I toughed it out and here I am years later still going strong. My firm belief is that if I had not stopped I would not be here today.

Just thought I'd share. thanks for listening, Bill aka the old guy

RS: Hi Cara and thanks for providing this great forum.

caraex said...

Thanks Bill. It must have been very difficult to quit while you were in the Navy. I would imagine that most of the other guys smoked making it tough on you! You are to be congratulated!

Unfortunately I did not quit soon enough as I now have COPD