Saturday, January 12, 2008

Being on Respirator Made Her Quit Smoking

My friend Francine sent me her story about smoking and how it almost killed her:

"I was born with bronchial asthma and have never been able to move very fast or get into strenuous sports or activities. I started smoking when I was 12 years old by stealing my Grandpa's Camels. I always loved smoking and no matter what the doctors told me I wanted my cigarettes. I always had a nagging cough and was sick pretty often with upper respiratory infections. Every time I went to the doctor he would tell me to quit smoking - but not me. I would cough my brains out and as soon as I stopped for a while I would light up again. This had been going on all my life and I was getting more and more short of breath. At 56 years old I was finally put on a nebulizer and inhalers, but still I did not stop!

On September 13, 2001 (right after 9/11 which caused this attack) I had to call 911 because I could not breathe. They stabilized me in the ER and then was sent home with more inhalers. The very next day I was lighting a cigarette and the same thing happened again - could not breathe. Thank God my daughter was there! Called 911 again and was Life Flighted to a hospital in a larger city some 60 miles away. I was put on a respirator and after 17 days of not being awake, I woke up to find my kids around me and found out I had been given last rites! I started having panic attacks because I could not stand the breathing machine. I kept telling them to take it off, but they said I would not live if they did. Against everyone's opinion and advice it was taken off and I was sent home on Hospice care, oxygen tanks and morphine. I have not smoked since. My children were extremely upset - I was so weak I could not do anything without help for days. If I tried to walk I would fall down.

Well here I am years later on oxygen 24/7, do everything (but slowly) including taking care of my 89 year old mother. Even though I am very slow I'm still here and plan to be for a long time yet. The only thing missing are my cigarettes. I no longer miss them but think about them once in a while, but then remember how it felt on the breathing machine and it scares me to death!

I hope all you smokers will quit before you wake up strapped down on a breathing machine and watch your family crying around you."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I quite smoking last year 2007 when in May I had a stroke at age 48 all from smoking my arteries on both sides of my neck were 90% blocked then cleaned them out now I am ok, I will never smoke again..

caraex said...

WOW! 48 is very young to have a stroke. Your experience shows just how deadly smoking can be. I suppose in way that was a good wake-up call for you before you contracted lung diseases. Am so glad you are doing well now!